Another Nature's Nest card and Tutorial

***Don't forget to check my classes and tutorials
classes: Sunny Day Purse and For All you do
Two Drawer Butterfly Box Tutorial
instructions for classes are on the side bar ****

After my first turtle card from Nature's nest I received a lot of request for tutorial how I do my watercoloring with markers. So here it is. I made another card using the turtle image from Nature's nest and put together a tutorial for you. It has over 40 pictures!!!

You will need:
Watercolor paper and Staz-On Ink (I already stamped my image on watercolor paper)
aqua painter
SU! write markers
paper towel for cleaning your brush

I start with outlining one part of the turtle's shell using Always Artichoke marker
then inside I outline with Old Olive
and then with Crushed Curry
Then using my aqua painter I start blending the colors from the edges towards the middle in circular motion, applying just light pressure. You need to make sure the brush is not too wet.

after I have blended the two green parts I clean my brush and continue blending, so you can see the curry instead of it blending with the greens.


if you would like you can add more curry and again blend it with the aqua painter.

after this part is done, I move to another section which doesn't touch the previously colored one, so the colors don't bleed into the other section. This is very important. I repeat the previous steps

Then I move to another section which doesn't touch the previous 2 so it allows these to dry completely before coloring the sections around them. I use Old Olive and Crushed Curry to outline the sections on the bottom of the turtles shell and then blend with the aqua painter like before. To go faster I outline every other section and blend the colors.






after this I go to the top of the turtle's shell and outline another section, because the other two parts are now dry. To go quicker I outlined 2 sections which are not next to each other. Then blend the colors. As well I applied Crushed Curry to two sections on the turtle's belly

after these have dried outline the rest if the bottom part sections with old olive and crushed curry and blend them with the aqua painted starting from the edges toward the center with circular motions applying just light pressure.

Now I move again on the top of the turtle's shell and color another section

then down to the belly. This is important so the colors from two sections don't bleed into each other.

Then I move to the middle strip of the shell. I Used Always Artichoke and Old olive. Again color the ends of every other section and blend.

then I go again on the top section of the shell and color the last section of it.
then I go to the turtle's body and outline where darker areas I would like to be with old olive and blend with the aqua painter. At the same time outline the rest of the strip of the shell and blend.


then with my Always Artichoke marker I add little dots on the legs, and blend them.
now outline the head and blend again, add little dots with the always artichoke marker and blend.

At the end I outline the bottom of the legs with Going gray marker and blend it to ground the turtle



And now it's all done! You can use the image now to make a card :)

Comments

Diane McKern said…
Great tutorial. I never thought of using markers for watercoloring. I always use stamp pads or crayons. Thanks for sharing.
smallcity said…
Fantastic tutorial, will give this a try. Thanks for posting.

smallcity
Tammy Q Howell said…
What an awesome tutorial! Your watercoloring is beautiful. I need to try this and keep practicing! What talent you have.
Thanks for sharing this tutorial.
Great tutorial! Your watercoloring is excellent. Thanks for sharing.
Jennifer Jones said…
This is great, you make it look so easy! thanks for sharing your talent with us!
Barbara said…
Thank you for posting this awesome tutorial! You make this technique look so easy....need to try this!
Monique said…
Your amazing :)...I will also try that I did not know I could do this with markers. Thanks Ilina
Lorraine Toll said…
Your watercoloring is simply flawless and amazing. Thanks for the tutorial and sharing your tricks.
Unknown said…
Ilina- that was awesome! I have used my SU markers before for watercoloring, but not like that. I want to pull them out again - thank you!!!
Anonymous said…
Wow .. fantastic. you are just wonderful to post this.
Thanks so much. I never thought about using the markers. You also have a great eye for colors.

Thanks again...

Denise
lisa808 said…
Great tutorial. thank you so much for taking the time to post this. Your turtle is just awesome!
lilpunkinsmimi said…
Love the turtle stamp. Can you please tell me where I may purchase one? Of if you would be willing to stamp 5-10 in black or dk brown ink on white paper? I'd be happy to pay you for whatever you can do to help me, or swap something, please just let me know, Thanks again for sharing your awesome work





1
Ilina Crouse said…
The turtle stamp is part of the set called Nature Nest from Stampin' Up! As a demonstrator I am not allowed to swap or sell stamped images. However you can purchase the stamp set through my SU! website, www.ilinacrouse.stampinup.net , click on SHOP NOW in the upper right corner, the item # for the set is 113826 and it's $22.95. Hope this helps:)
Sue Duffy said…
Wonderful, Ilina! You are so talented - and you must have an enormous amount of patience. TFS
Rita W said…
Thank you so much for sharing this! I love coming to your blog and seeing all of your amazing creations, but your coloring is by far my favorite. If I were closer, I'd be bugging you for lessons for sure! ;) I'll try this and see if I can do better with my coloring.
Annette J. said…
Thank you for your tutorial, you mentioned it on LNS just when I needed it the most. I have purchased my watercolor paper and I am now ready to tackle watercoloring the new "Bells & Boughs" stamps.
Nanadew said…
Great tutorial. My husband is a "Turtle Man" but I struggle with making beautiful turtles. This will be a great help to me. Can't wait to try it. Thank you very much!